Monday, October 29, 2007

Quote of the Day (belated Saturday edition)

One of seven children born to a minister and a baker, Nuamah never studied dance; no one did in Ghana, she said. She simply copied traditional dances and made up her own, earning several dance competition titles.

"It was pure talent," she said. "When you're good, you're good."

I absolutely loved this quote by Kukuwa Nuamah, for the total lack of humility displayed. Having said the same thing about my intelligence, I can understand where she's coming from. An honest assessment of your talent does not preclude humility. Humility is more displayed in your actions and your attitudes towards others. I am smarter than most people, that does not make me better than them. Nuamah is a better dancer than most people, that does not make her better than them.

No comments: